Summer Teen Program
Growing Hope’s paid Summer Teen Program provides teens with an opportunity to develop interpersonal, leadership, and job skills while learning gardening and nutrition concepts and gaining an understanding of food justice work. Applications for this program will open in early April, 2020.
What do our Summer Teens do?
- Help young learners in after school programs and summer camps learn how to grow
and cook nutritious food
- Work on the Growing Hope Urban Farm and help with planting, maintaining, and
harvesting fresh vegetables and herbs
- Sell produce from the farm at the Downtown Ypsilanti Farmers Market
- Act as a leader and example to peers, youth, volunteers, and the community
- Learn about food justice, culinary skills, and leadership from community members
and fellow teens
- Earn $10.00/hr
Teen Leadership Program
Growing Hope’s after school Teen Leadership Program is a paid leadership development opportunity for teens that have completed our Summer Teen Program. This program builds off the skills learned through our summer program and equips teens with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to become the next generation of changemakers in our food system.
What do our Teen Leaders do?
- Explore in-depth topics related to food justice, healthy eating, and community change
- Learn and practice leadership skills like public speaking, group facilitation, and community asset mapping
- Find solutions to issues of food justice in our community and develop a group project to address a specific issue
- Educate and inform community members on the work that they are doing
- Teens can continue into the next summer as a Crew Leader and help shape and direct the