Summer Teen Program
Growing Hope’s paid Summer Teen Program provides teens with an opportunity to develop interpersonal, leadership, and job skills while learning gardening and nutrition concepts and gaining an understanding of food justice work. This is an 8-week program open to Ypsilanti high school aged youth, ages 14-18. Applications for this program are closed. Stay tuned for our fall teen programs!
What do our Summer Teens do?
- Work on the Growing Hope Urban Farm and in community gardens
- Grow and harvest fresh produce to donate to local food pantries
- Learn about healthy eating, sustainability, and food justice
- Make a difference in the Ypsilanti community
- Get paid $10/hour for up to 24 hours/week
Teen Leadership Program
Growing Hope’s after school Teen Leadership Program is a paid leadership development opportunity for teens that have completed our Summer Teen Program. This program builds off the skills learned through our summer program and equips teens with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to become the next generation of changemakers in our food system.
What do our Teen Leaders do?
- Explore in-depth topics related to food justice, healthy eating, and community change
- Learn and practice leadership skills like public speaking, group facilitation, and community asset mapping
- Find solutions to issues of food justice in our community and develop a group project to address a specific issue
- Educate and inform community members on the work that they are doing
- Teens can continue into the next summer as a Crew Leader and help shape and direct the