We hold free garden workshops on the Growing Hope Urban Farm throughout the growing season. Click here to check out 2022’s workshop line-up!
- Saturday, May 14 10am-3pm Growing Hope Community Day & Container Gardening Workshop
Growing Hope welcomes you to our urban farm for a fun day of activities for all ages! There will be delicious food, DIY potted plants, a gardening workshop, cooking demos, mural painting, farm tours…and more! Workshop will be Container Gardening for Dorms & Apartments: Growing Hope teen staff will demonstrate how to grow in tight spaces – on balconies, porches, patios, and even indoors!
- Saturday, May 28 1pm-3pm Garden Pests & Friends
- Have you dealt with unwanted guests in your garden? Come to the Growing Hope Urban Farm for a presentation and discussion identifying common garden pests and friends. We’ll discuss how to spot signs of insects and rodents along with tricks to keep them away from your plants. We’ll also spend time talking about helpful bugs like pollinators and how to attract them.
- Saturday, June 11 1pm-3pm Compost and Living Soil Work Day and Skill Share
- Kitchen scraps, yard waste, and other materials can be recycled into “black gold”, the gardener’s nickname for nutrient dense compost. Come visit the Growing Hope Urban Farm to learn about our composting system and systems you can build and maintain at home. If the weather is good, you can help us turn our piles to see how it’s done.
- Saturday, June 18 1pm-3pm Rain Barrels 101 with the Washtenaw County Conservation District
Learning to catch rainwater can help save money, reduce flooding, and create long-term sustainable solutions for building food sovereignty. Join us alongside the Washtenaw County Conservation District to learn about best practices for installing and taking care of rain barrels. Buy rain barrels from the WCCD beforehand and pick them up at the workshop!Info on website https://www.washtenawcd.org/rainbarrel.html
Presales on store – https://store.washtenawcd.org/rainbarrelsEmail [email protected]
- Saturday, June 25 1pm-3pm Tomato Trellising
- Come to the Growing Hope Urban Farm and help us trellis tomatoes! We’ll demonstrate techniques for giving tomato plants the support they need to grow. This will be a hands-on community skill share and workday.
- Saturday, July 9 1pm-3pm Harvest and Store Garlic and Onions
- Garlic and onions are fabulous storage crops that are ready for harvest this time of year. We will learn about the different types of garlic and onion you can grow, how to harvest them, and how best to store them.