ProgramsPolicy & Advocacy
Growing Hope advocates for healthy food access, vibrant & sustainable communities, positive neighborhood development, food and agriculture entrepreneurism, and health equity.
Among these efforts:
- Participation in the Food System Economic Partnership Policy Committee
- Advocacy for the passage of the Cottage Food Law, which former governor Jennifer Granholm signed into law at the Growing Hope Center in July 2010.
- Gathered community input to share best practices in support of Urban Chicken and Urban Bee legislation in the City of Ypsilanti, recently passed.
- Participation in the Ypsilanti Health Coalition in a leadership role.
- Director Amanda Edmonds, is an appointee to the Michigan Food Policy Council
- Provide informational testimony to the Michigan Senate subcommittee on Childhood Obesity about best practices in school gardens.
- Participated in focus groups, task forces, and summit that created the Michigan Good Food Charter, working to raise awareness among elected officials.
We advocate for healthier food stores and using healthy food as economic opportunity in our community.