Our garden programs make it easy for you to grow your own garden.
Our garden programs help people of all ages learn to grow and eat healthy food.
- Visit our Demonstration Gardens & Urban Farm: Come and see our urban farm and learn more about Growing Hope and get ideas for your own garden. Check our calendar for open days and tours.
- Learn through Volunteering: Learn through doing! Volunteering with us at the farm is a great way to learn gardening skills & have fun. Come for a day, or sign up for a long term spot for more training.
- Borrow Gardening Supplies and Books: You can borrow the tools you need to get growing- from shovels to grow lights, to books on how to grow everything.
- Free Home Vegetable Garden Installations Program: We help people of all abilities to grow food in their own homes through garden installations and seasonal support. Full for 2017.
- Fiscal Sponsorships for Community Gardens: Does your garden need a sponsor for applying for a grant, or just help managing a shared account. Give us a call!
- Gardening Supplies, Seeds & Plants for Sale: Ypsiplanti, is a great place to get supplies and chat with gardening expert. We sell seeds, plants and everything you need to get growing.
- Growing Advice, Training and Installations: We offer a wide array gardening consultation and installation services through Ypsilplanti. Whatever barriers you have to start growing, we can help!
- Taking it to the Next Level, Food Business Support: We offer offers local food businesses navigation services to start or grow your enterprise.
Learn more about our garden programs, and how we can support you from the drop down boxes below.
How we have supported new and returning gardeners has evolved as we’ve seen the needs of gardeners change over time. In 2017 we are adjusting our garden programs and resources to have the most impact with families who may have barriers to growing their own food at home. There are still many ways our garden programs serve gardeners of all income and experience levels, and we need everyone to make our garden community strong.
Tools, Books & More: Lending Library
Borrow Resources: tools, books and More!
We have a tool and book lending library to gardeners in our community. You can borrow the tools you need to get growing- from shovels to grow lights. Check out the list of books here, and our list of tools here. Items are available to be checked out at the Growing Hope Center.
For more information on the Lending Libraries, please follow the links below:
Garden Consultations, Installations & Training
Growing Hope offers our expertise in garden design and planning for homes, businesses, schools, community gardens, and any other space a garden could be built! Whether you’re a new gardener looking for advice on where to place your raised beds and what crops to plant, or you’re a seasoned gardener looking for training on how to organize a community garden we can support you.
Please visit our Garden Services page for more information and to fill out a request form
Home Vegetable Garden Program
Growing Hope’s Home Vegetable Garden Program address food insecurity in Ypsilanti through empowering eligible participants to grow their own home gardens. We help install raised bed vegetable gardens in homes while providing garden resources and support throughout the growing season. In return, we ask participants to track their harvest and complete surveys. We are no longer accepting applications for the 2017 Home Vegetable Garden Program.
Find a Community Garden
There are countless community gardens throughout Ypsilanti and Washtenaw County! For the complete list of community gardens near you, click here!
Although Growing Hope does not manage these gardens, we have provided gardening support to many in the past. Several of these gardens have gone through Growing Hope’s Garden Leadership Training. Many of these groups offer plots for community members to garden and are a great opportunity to get to know neighbors, learn more about gardening and have access to space for growing that people might not have otherwise. Each garden is set up different and they are not all plot-rental or communal gardens. Please email the garden steward listed under each community garden for more information.
Growing Gardens Membership UPDATE (Discontinued)
Growing Hope will no longer offer our Growing Garden Membership program to individual households and community gardens. Instead, we will focus our free garden resources on participants in our Home Vegetable Garden Program. For community gardens, we are still happy to provide fiscal agency and insurance coverage.
Many past Growing Gardens members look forward to free seeds and seedlings. Only Home Vegetable Garden households and alums will receive free seeds and seedlings, as we focus these resources to those who may have barriers to otherwise purchasing them. Others can shop at Growing Hope’s YpsiPlanti Garden Supply which offers a variety of veggie, fruit, and herb plants. Because of our continuing dedication to making gardening accessible, we are again offering 25% discount at YpsiPlanti to Bridge Card holders (i.e. SNAP or WIC families). We’ll also be starting a new frequent shopper rewards program.
While Growing Hope will not offer a full Seed Starting Squad program, we encourage people to purchase seed starting kits from YpsiPlanti Garden Supply and borrow from our stock of light stands for a small deposit. Everyone still has access to Growing Hope’s Lending Libraries (tools, light stands, canning supplies, and books).