About UsMission & Impact
Growing Hope’s mission is to help people improve their lives and communities through gardening and increasing access to healthy food.
Growing Hope serves as a technical assistant, program coordinator/partner, and general resource for non-profit organizations, public agencies, and educational institutions that wish to use gardening as a way to further their social, educational, and/or environmental missions. Activities include providing start-up and ongoing gardening assistance, developing and coordinating programs, teaching classes and workshops, developing curricula and training materials, and facilitating partnerships and collaboration.
The Growing Hope Vision
Growing Hope envisions Healthy People, Healthy Economies, and Healthy Places in Ypsilanti and beyond by 2023.
Our rooting in the Ypsilanti community continues to deepen as we’ve created healthy and sustainable local food systems that positively impact many aspects of the Ypsilanti-area community, economy, and home life.
Healthy food, as a local system, influences and affords residents opportunities from cradle to career, including job and leadership opportunities that lead them to careers.
Our diverse and strong leadership believes in bringing together business owners, elected officials, young people, community organizers, faith communities, nonprofit leadership, and many others to build more sustainable healthy food resources.
Our impact extends well beyond Ypsilanti’s borders, as our best practices are shared and other communities in Michigan and beyond are trained in them. We quantify, qualify, and share our impact on our own and through research partnerships. It’s no mistake that people come to Ypsilanti from across the country to learn and train in these best practices, and many even relocate to our area become a part of this vision.
Where We Work
While we will always be rooted in and serving the Ypsilanti area, our reach has grown and now extends much further.
- The Growing Hope Urban Farm is a destination for the region.
- Our Garden Leadership Training has, for 10 years, empowered community garden leaders across southeast Michigan.
- Our market vendors come from throughout the southeast and south central Michigan regions as well as our market customers.
- We developed and promote the WashtenawMarkets.org brand to support farmers markets across the county.
- We train and mentor farmers markets across the state.
- We advocate for good food policies through the Washtenaw County Food Policy Council, as well as at a statewide and at times federal level.